Friday, November 27, 2009

Food Stamps

One of the many "perks" if you will about National service is your fixed income. By living below the poverty line you are therefore not required to pay state taxes, student loans or in some cases food and heating bills i.e. federal assistance. During our pre-service orientation we were all informed that we most likely could qualify for assistance which included food stamps. I found this to be kind of a hidden bonus...I mean if the government wants to give me around $140 a month to eat that is fine by me. However, a lot of people have mixed feelings about this part of National service. Some people, like myself, see it as a great opportunity to learn about the social services system, get free food and not have to dumpster dive. While others see this as a complete embarrassment and even feel resentment that the government is not giving them a 'living wage."
I've had several surprising reactions over the admission that I was applying for food stamps. The most surprising in the supportive reactions from my parents who are just concerned about my survival and would like me to have as many choices as possible and embrace the learning experience. The negative reactions, however, are even more surprising. During Thanksgiving dinner conversation I mentioned to my boyfriend's family about my experience applying for food stamps. My boyfriend suddenly became very embarrassed that I mentioned that I was applying for food stamps in front of his parents and was shocked that I would bring such a thing up over Thanksgiving dinner. This was even more surprising since his parents had such a positive reaction and we even discussed the problems with social serves in PA. However, this is giving me new insight as to how these negative stereotypes about assistance are still alive and well even in generation X and Y.
On the topic of the food stamp application process, this online application was ridiculously complicated to fill out and asked a litany of questions. I was applying online with my fellow friends and VISTA members who all have advanced degrees and it took us hours to fill out and answer each crazy question. This is not to say that people who have been to college are better at filling out forms, but that they have had a large amount of experience fill out forms and answering complicated questions. I can only imagine how hard it is for someone who does not have a college education or who's first language is not English. To them this form must be nearly impossible to complete. Also, the turn around rate is incredibly slow. I received a voice mail from a case worker called "Mr.C" who informed me that I could get emergency food stamps and needed to call him back. That was a week ago. I have been calling everyday leaving messages on his answering machine. I have yet to talk to Mr. C nor do I know if the information I faxed to his office has been received. I am wondering if I will ever hear from Mr. C again! Maybe Mr. C cannot understand my accent as it seems English is not his first language. Also, his answering machine requires that you leave your SS#, case # name and number and he will get back to you in "one business day." Liar! I feel frustrated and at the moment I have food. What if I desperately needed those emergency food stamps to cook Thanksgiving dinner or worse to eat for the week? The funding for Philadelphia social services seems to be in the red and at least for me, not very affective. However, I am thankful that I am fed and housed and not at the mercy of underfunded assistance programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment